September 06, 2005

Trust Walking

Do you work with any older guys, the ones who have been called "dinosaurs" for devoting most of their life to just one cause or organization, thrown around the ringer for many years as they approach retirement? You know, the ones that wait for anyone that will listen to them, always hiding around the corner of the office with a cup of coffee and a snide remark concerning upper management. The ones that tell you the same story over again from time to time, not only telling their stories, but reliving them as they speak.

I remember two years ago, I was in our cafeteria with such a coworker, who has a surprisingly wonderful sense of humor for someone having been divorced, having battled through substance abuse and now clinging on to his job amidst rumors of being next on the list to be let go. He over-rationalizes his work day's accomplishments to combat the mounting small talk of his lack of productiveness and initiative.

Back then, he spoke to me about not being able to trust anyone in this world but yourself. "People cheat you, people screw you over, people leave you in the cold, people change on you, people die before you.. the only one you can truly count on and trust is yourself." I remember how I nodded to the beat of his words to keep his aging engine alive during a cold, bleak winter afternoon, although I really wish I could express my disagreement to his words.

I had lunch with this fellow again this afternoon, as we were both in training at a ridiculously distant location. He repeated this story to me again, and this time, it was a cool late summer day, and again I nodded to the beat of his words, but this time to keep my engine alive. I really wish I could express how much I agreed with his words.

3 comments:

Sahar said...

You write extremely well.

AJ said...

I second that. I think the tone is "stylishly jaded."

SkinnyFestite said...

Wow, how true! Thank you for your comment.. Do I know you by any chance? You write extraordinarily. I'm interested in your writing background?