February 05, 2005

Make Me Wanna Holler

I try to listen to music with a different focus. To me, the music lies in the bass and the peripheral sounds. I would always concentrate on the bass scales and the rhythm guitar more than the lead vocals or lead guitar -- sometimes I feel treble is a distraction.

One fond memory came when I was six and for some reason I was always attracted to Motown music. On my family road trips I grew increasing bored with the monotony of long car rides. My younger sister would begin to sing songs from popular radio stations and barely get the words right. Sometimes, she would loop every two sentences of the song over and over again. Usually those two lines were not even accurate.

Since I never paid attention to the lead vocals, I would simply hum music, except this one time. During Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get it On," I knew of only one verse. A little more than halfway through the song, the background singer starts singing, "My body wants it.. My body wants it.."

Two red lights lit the back of the car and all eyes were on me.

No comments: